Review: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell



Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.

Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here — it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

Carry On - The Rise and Fall of Simon Snow 
is a ghost story, a love story and a mystery. It has just as much kissing and talking as you'd expect from a Rainbow Rowell story - but far, far more monsters.

 Am I probably the last Rainbow Rowell fan to read Carry On?

Yup.

Is that absolutely alright?

Yup.

I regret nothing. 

I listened to the audio book of Carry On and I'm glad I did. 

For anyone who's read Fangirl you'll know that Carry On seems to have grown from the wings of Harry Potter, "if Harry and Draco were the thing that most fanfic wanted them to be."

This book was everything that that we would want from a Rainbow Rowell romance, but I can't say it "to die for". It was a lovely little romance between enemies turned friends with a burst of magic and mystery for good measure. I've got to say, I wasn't a fan of Dumbledor so The Mage was rather refreshing. 

This book gave me everything I was looking for and left us with just enough mystery to crave book 2. I may choose to carry on (see what I did there. lol) with my current precedent and wait for book 3 before listening to book 2. 

You'll just have to wait and see.

Comments